Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Gregg Hurwitz LAST CHANCE Interview

Gregg Hurwitz is a critically acclaimed, internationally bestselling author. His books have been nominated for numerous awards, shortlisted for best novel of the year by International Thriller Writers, nominated for CWA’s Ian Fleming Steel Dagger, chosen as feature selections for all four major literary book clubs, honored as Book Sense Picks, and translated into seventeen languages. His latest, after YOU’RE NEXT, read by Scott Brick, and TELL NO LIES, is LAST CHANCE.
Audiobooks Today: You’ve had an interesting life so far, to be as young as you are. What experiences have shaped you most as a writer?
Gregg Hurwitz: I was not allowed to watch TV as a kid.  So all I did was read and read and read. That probably had the biggest influence on me.
Q: What’s this about infiltrating cults? Was this for a book?
A: Yes – my second Tim Rackley novel, The Program, deals with mind-control cults. And I decided that to write about one convincingly, I’d have to experience it. From the inside. So that’s what I did.
Q:  James Lee Burke has been the only author we’ve interviewed who hasn’t said his best and favorite book wasn’t the one he was currently touting. Care to be a rare second, or is Trust No One your favorite and best, and why?
A: I have two. The Crime Writer was a really big transition book for me, which brought me to Trust No One. They’re both thrillers with more of a Hitchcock vibe than anything I’d written prior, and I’ve really enjoyed that a lot.
Q: Do you listen to your audiobooks, and if so, what do you think of the narration? Any preferences?
A: I really like Scott Brick a lot – he’s done a terrific job for me. He did great work on The Crime Writer.
Q: You also write for Marvel and for films. What do you most enjoy about those, and what’s different or most difficult?
A: Film is terrific because it makes you use your brain in different ways. Everything must be lean, visual, teased out in dialogue. There’s a real efficiency to screenwriting that can be really rewarding when you hit your stride. With the comics, it’s three-fold. 1) Instant production 2) Amazing art and artists. 3) You get to play with the best toys in the sandbox.



No comments:

Post a Comment